Entrepreneurs supported by SUCool, the Sabancı University Technology-Based Venture Acceleration Center, took part in a series of meetings and demo days with world-class accelerators, angel investors and venture capital investment companies in London.
SUCOOL, the Sabancı University Technology-Based Venture Acceleration Center, took five of its entrepreneurs from the 2017 term to London between July 3 and 7, 2017.
The visit included workshops, presentations to investors and venture capital companies, and visits to incubation and acceleration centers. A Demo Day was held with the participation of all entrepreneur groups.
On the first day of the London camp, entrepreneurs participated in the “Startup Finance” workshop facilitated by former Revo Capital CFO Ömer Nurlu. In the next session on the same day, entrepreneurs visited the London offices of Gram Games, one of the most successful game developers based in Turkey, and learned more about the London and British ecosystems. They explained their projects to Adhrita Nowrin, the director of London-based Avant Ventures, for valuable feedback.
On the second day of the London camp, entrepreneurs met with Erdem Yurdanur (founder of Mackolik.com) and Bülent Boytorun (founder of Floor 11 & Zap Medya) to discuss building a startup in the UK and the various venture opportunities available to them. In the last session of the day, entrepreneurs visited the London-based acceleration and incubation center Founders Factory to learn more about the requirements for taking part in acceleration programs in the UK.
Entrepreneurs presented their projects to Capital Enterprise CEO John Spindler on the third day of the camp to receive feedback about their chances of receiving investment in the UK.
On the last two days of the London camp, participants visited the London office of Techstars, one of the world's leading acceleration programs; the offices of London & Partners, a public-private institution designed to provide free consultancy to entrepreneurs seeking to establish or grow a startup in London; Level39, Europe's largest FinTech incubation center; and Mind The Ad, the London-based digital technology agency. During these visits, they learned about the details of the dynamics of the London ecosystem, and the process for opening up to external markets. On the last day of the camp, entrepreneurs visited Aytuğ Göksu, Trade Attache to the Ministry of Economy of Turkey, to learn more about the support available to them through the ministry.
The startups joining SUCOOL’s London camp were:
- Kolay Restoran (EasyPos): develops cloud-based ordering, inventory, personnel, sales and POS monitoring systems for restaurants and is currently used by more than 40 establishments.
- Appvice: develops mobile applications enabling individuals to receive advice and coaching from people of their choice regarding nutrition, health, careers, personal development, psychology, and mother-child health. The beta version is being used by 2000 people.
- Tarifebilir: a web platform that enables individuals to compare all GSM and ADSL plans available to them, choose their favorite one, and apply online. More than 35.000 users have chosen their plans using Tarifebilir.com until now.
- Woi Sport: a live performance analysis app for amateur footballers. It is currently being used by more than 50 athletes.
- Annemisin.com: a web platform where pregnant women or mothers and fathers of children aged 0 to 7 can find all the information they need in a personalized outlet. The platform receives 3000 daily visits.
SUCOOL London Camp Video